Thursday 8 March 2007

Hanging Flower Bags/Pouches March 2007


7/3/07

Its a lovely morning , I worked in the Greenhouse most of the day , I started filling Jan ( my best friend ) and her Mums hanging baskets they look a bit scabbie just now but ive packed them with wee plants , Fucshia , Geranium Aristo lavender ,Geranium, Pansies and Ivy . Ive got water retaining gel and Miracle- Gro tablets ( 3 in each basket ) that feed the plants for 6 months in there so hopefully they should look good in a couple of months time . Still got to do my own one !! Filling up the baskets certainly freed up a lot of space on the bench im quite relieved because ive got 160 Begonia plug plants arriving from Jersey shortly and I didnt know where I was going to put them ! I was wanting to put the Begonia's in the hanging bag/pouches that I hang on the hut and clothes poles but ive been advised not to do that as it get too hot inside the bags and can sweat the roots ,has anyone else tried them in hanging bags ? Everyone seems to use Impatiens ! I would like to try something different, I had Petunias in the bags last year but they got so leggy and it can be quite windy here so they got broken and damaged and looked awful.
Just discovered today ( in Garden Answers ) that if your little tomato plants look a bit leggy you can plant them nearly right up to the lower leaf as they root from the stem , that gives them more stability , Wow ! I love learning new things .

1 comment:

RUTH said...

Hi Margaret
Thanks for dropping by my blog. Nice to meet fellow gardeners. You certainly have been busy! I've planted up these pouches in the past and they really do well. It's astounding how in a few weeks they fill out until you can't see the pouch at all. I have planted he smaller Begonia semperflorens (wax) in them and been very successful; I've never tried trailers.
You may already know but another little tip about tomatoes; you know the side shoots that get pinched out, well they root quite well and give you extra plants for free; though I don't know if your growing season in Scotland would be long enough for them to root, grow, flower & fruit. Also growing marigolds and basil with them helps to deter aphids.
Ruth