Thursday 1 March 2007

Spring Bulbs-1 March 2007



4/3/07
Last night was very cold and frosty ,I havent been able to put off the paraffin heater at all today , I got up early and put a bit more heating on in the greenhouse , I use tealight candles during the day its surprising how much heat these little candles give off they can really boost the heat , they burn safely in the lanterns for just over 4 hours and I buy a bag of 100 of them from Asda for £1.20 so they are nice and cheap to use .I nipped the top off the sweetpeas to make them bush up a bit , they have came on really well , maybe a bit too well , I didnt think they would grow so fast , they will be climbing up the greenhouse frame if they continue at this speed . lol.Yesterday I chose 10 Fushia cuttings to grow into standards , I had a go at this last year, started it off from a bit of Fushia that had fallen from a plant , it was a bit late in the year so it didnt manage to come into flower , I kept it in the cold greenhouse and it looks as if its starting to come back to life , its 46 inches in height and im hoping it will look good in a large pot with maybe bizzie lizzies round the base and maybe trailing lobelia ? Im just a beginner so everything is so new and exciting to me , I hope I never loose this buzz I feel everytime I go into the greenhouse , I just love it ! Have you ever seen Christine Walkden on TV ? I think she is brill and I just love the enthusiasm she has for growing things. I can so relate to that , she really has been my inspiration to give it a go .Please if you are reading this and liking at least some of it , let me know , Id love to hear from someone .



2/3/07
There was a frost last night but its a beautiful sunny morning .Started off some Dahlia's ( disco dancer ) Thunbergia ( salmon shades ) and some Dwarf Sunflowers ( Torch ) , haven't grown the dwarf sunflowers before but saw them in the garden centres last year and thought they looked nice so i'll give them a go .



1/3/07
Its a lovely day and the sun is shining , ive been out weeding and hoed in Growmore , its nice to be giving the garden its first feed of the year , most of the bulbs are starting to flower now and I just love the tete tate .
The greenhouse is looking good everything is growing well , I got Verbascum seeds free yesterday with the Amatuer Gardening magazine so I have sown a few seeds this morning to see how they grow in the garden .

1 comment:

Greg C said...

We had heavy frost last night but I had a little wood left for my stove which I heat my greenhouse with. I had one large oak log too and managed to stuff it in the stove late at night. It was ok in there this morning so I think I saved everything. Lovely plants,

Greg